SciTE: a lightweight text and code editorFrederic Cambus September 18, 2011 [Miscellaneous]
SciTE is a lightweight, fast, and crystal clear text and code editor for those who love minimalism and efficiency. It is, however, a fully featured and highly customizable editor supporting tabbed files, code folding, and language specific syntax highlighting. It is one of my editors of choice for small projects: actually, I'm typing this article using it.
SciTE feels oldschool, a reminiscing gem from a software era when efficiency prevailed over complexity and bloating: in fact it feels so good that I decided to use FVWM (which is, for the record, the first Window Manager I ever used back in early 1996) to take a screenshot.
Some interesting facts and features:
- It is built upon Scintilla (a source code editing component), and is extendable through Lua scripts.
- Cross-platform (Good to note: the Windows version is just one single .EXE file!).
- Interesting selection features: SciTE allows rectangular block selection by holding the CTRL key (ALT key under Windows) while defining the selected area.
- Supports syntax highlighting and code folding for a large choice of languages.
- Fully customizable through a text based configuration file.